08 September 2006

Flower Power


Okay, so I'm really digging this hat thing. I can't believe how fun and easy (and quick!) it is to make a good lookin' toque. (And I cannot wait `til the walking casts go on so I can peruse The Naked Sheep for some funky green and yellow yarn! It's about time I made something for my damn self!)


Knowing pregnant lady #1 is having a girl, I figured I could safely whip up a pink baby hat, but to make it that much more special, I wanted to attach a flower. I Googled "easy crochet flower" and a free pattern for a Two-Layer Irish Rose was one of the first I found. And it was so much easier than I thought it would be.


The best thing about crochet is that you don't need to follow the instructions to a T to get the look you want. If you know what you want the finished product to look like, you can easily improvise and no one will be the wiser. I'm not sure I did "exactly" what the directions asked of me, but it turned out great anyway. I knew the theory behind what I was doing, and there was certainly more than one way to acheive it.

That used to scare me because I used to think I needed to be hand-held every step of the way, but I don't think I was giving myself enough credit. As soon as you start taking some chances and it pays off, you get more and more confident that you can figure things out on your own.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be many, many more crocheted flowers in my future...

Cheers,
Em

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FLOWER POWER.....Damn; you are a HIPPY!

Slayermel said...

Em....I just love your hat, your getting so good so quick, God I need to start practicing more...*giggle*. You have inspired me though to start making stuff and putting it away, to many people are getting married and having baby's. God we have hit that age...*gulp*.